Head of Legal Services
Head of Legal Services – NHS Trust
Location: East Midlands
Salary Band B
Looking for an exciting new challenge in Healthcare Law?
We are seeking an experienced law expert to provide a proactive and effective legal service to support health care staff based within an East Midlands Acute Trust:
- Providing the Trust’s executive, senior management and clinical/non-clinical staff with highly specialised expert legal and practical advice in the area of healthcare law, specialist litigation and Coronial legal work.
- To independently conduct and provide expert legal advice upon a portfolio of clinical negligence claims, coroners’ inquest cases and personal injury claims and identify opportunities for learning.
- To foster and maintain external and internal working relationships and to assist in the delivery of bespoke internal legal training sessions, as required.
- Working closely with the wider Quality Governance team, operational and corporate management teams to identify risks not previously reported.
- The post holder is responsible for the daily management of the Legal Services allocated budget and line management of legal services staff.
- The post holder will work to agreed objectives for the service and manage their own workload as appropriate. The Deputy Director of Quality Governance will provide guidance and support through management supervision. In addition, objectives will be set and there will be regular review and monitoring meetings.
These will include, but not restricted to:
Deputy Director of Integrated Governance, Director of Integrated Governance, Medical Director, Director of Nursing & Quality, Trust Managers, Medical and nursing staff & NHS Resolution.
- Explore and resolve claims effectively. Instruct solicitors as necessary. Liaise and negotiate settlement of claims direct with litigants in person or solicitors, and agree costs in conjunction as necessary with NHS Litigation Authority staff and others including insurers and loss adjustors. Identify and manage any novel, contentious or repercussive features, including public relation issues.
- Challenge ways of working which may give, or have given, rise to claims or other critical findings in Courts; persuade, motivate and influence senior professionals to review and realign their practice where necessary.
- Provide ongoing professional leadership and management in design and implementation of Trust wide procedures such as consent and claims management to ensure that they are robust, auditable and reflect best practice.
- Develop and deliver staff training programmes and conference presentations on medico-legal issues.
- Ensure all medico-legal staff undertake regular internal and external specific training, including delivery and completion of mandatory training as appropriate, to maintain up-to-date national standard knowledge, in addition to professional development requirements
- Ensure that all duties are carried out to the highest possible standard, and in accordance with current quality initiatives within the area of work and the Trust Equal Opportunities Policy.
- Have a commitment to identifying and minimising risk, report all incidents and report to manager any risks which need to be assessed.
Qualifications & experience required:
- Degree in law (or other degree with completion of relevant conversion course)
- Knowledge and experience associated with NHS specific legal provisions, structures and social care policies
- Masters level qualification, or demonstrable experience as a senior and expert specialist solicitor
- Completion of 2 year articles of clerkship or training contract (equivalent to Masters level education)
Extensive knowledge of a range of specialist areas of law, acquired through post graduate diploma or equivalent experience or training, plus further specialist knowledge or experience in clinical negligence, personal injury, consent, Mental Capacity Act and associated issues, Court of Protection, plus substantial degree of additional training and experience
If this sounds like the right opportunity for you please get in touch with Helen Simpson at Harvey Nash Healthcare – 0121 717 1903 email@example.com
Apply for Head of Legal Services
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly