• Leadership and development of the divisional management team.
• Responsible for effective communication and engagement within the division.
• Representing the division at Hospital Management Team and other appropriate groups and committees, both internal and external.
• Contributing to the leadership activities of the whole group as required.
• Personal Leadership style that embodies and promotes the Trust’s values.
• Champion of staff engagement, involvement, and recognition across the division.
• Work with relevant clinical boards and networks to design and deliver future strategy for the division to improve standards in areas where unwarranted variation has been identified.
• Identify opportunities for growth and quality improvement in line with Trust objectives.
• Work to develop and deliver the UHN group clinical strategy.
• Translate clinical strategy into operational delivery across a range of clinical services within the division and across others (where appropriate).
• Be accountable for design and delivery of the Division’s Strategy and input into business planning in line with corporate timescales.
• Accountable for Divisional Performance across all measures and objectives.
• Responsible for delivery of Trust targets for hospital wide performance.
• Attend performance reviews to account for delivery to a variety of stakeholders.
• Be accountable for divisional systems of performance management and governance.
• Embedding divisional “Board to Ward” governance for the appropriate assurance of quality, financial, workforce and operational performance.
• Embed Quality Improvement as a system, in conjunction with corporate QI partner.
• To lead on the division's transformation plans, including the identification, development, and delivery of appropriate service improvements.
• Be accountable for the delivery of the division’s actions with regards to CQC and other regulatory reports.
• Be accountable in preparing the division for CQC and other regulatory inspections.
• Lead the Divisions contribution at the Quality Improvement Board, highlighting risks and mitigations.
• Lead on response to and learning from never events and SI’s improving learning across the hospital.
• Undertake continuous personal development as a leader.
• Management of the division’s senior medical, nursing, and general management staff.
• Completion of safer staffing reviews (in conjunction with Director of Nursing).
• Accountable for completion of consultant job planning (in conjunction with the Medical Director) for the division.
• Enable coaching and mentoring within the division.
• Pursue divisional staff development, in line with identified needs and talent management.
• Demonstrate the Trust’s Values and embed across the division and wider hospital.
• Design and deliver divisional elements of Trust and site people strategy using staff survey and people pulse outcomes.
• Promote the Trust’s Equality and Diversity Objectives.
• Be accountable for delivery of safe staffing levels across all staff groups highlighting risks through the Hospital Management Board.
• Accountable for delivery of the divisional financial plan.
• Take shared corporate responsibility for the financial performance of the hospital and Trust, balancing the potentially conflicting demands of budgetary requirements and clinical standards.
• Be accountable for pay and non-pay expenditure within the division across all staff groups.
• Ensure systems of performance management are in place to ensure delivery of the financial plan, pay and non-pay and account for performance at monthly performance reviews.
• Submit business plans through the hospital’s IBP process.
• Abide by SFIs.
Research and Teaching
• Further develop a culture of teaching and research in line with the University Hospitals Group strategy and the Academic Strategy.