Chief Operating Officer
- Independent Health Group
- Bath Business Park, Bath
- £85,000 per year plus performance bonus
- Closing date
- 30 Mar 2023
- Phone number
- NHS England
- Job Type
- Executive, Chief Operating Officer
At Independent Health Group (IHG) we absolutely put patients first and take pride in ensuring we are delivering high quality care with the patient experience being at the heart of this. Our staff are proud to work for us and proud of the care we deliver. We were delighted to achieve an overall rating of OUTSTANDING by the Care Quality Commission in 2022.
In the last few of years we have expanded our highly successful LA hernia service into Leicestershire and Gloucestershire and we have ambitious plans to build on this growth. Hence, we have created the post of Chief Operating Officer to help us on this journey.
This role will be full time and based at our Head Office in Bath Business Park in Peasedown St John, with travel to sites at which we operate and the option of some homeworking.
The Chief Operating Officer will lead and manage the delivery of high-quality patient services, inspiring a culture of excellence and providing leadership to the workforce and senior operational managers.
The post holder will be responsible for the day-to-day operational management and service delivery of care to patients and for delivering the operational management of IHGs services whilst improving quality within an agreed budget. This includes directly managing the Head of Clinical Services and the Operations and Performance Manager who are responsible for the delivery of performance in all clinical services across the organisation.
As a Director, the Chief Operating Officer has shared corporate responsibility for:
- Setting IHGs strategic direction
- Achievement of IHGs corporate objectives including compliance with CQC standards and the delivery of national targets and core standards
- Delivering high quality and safe care to patients
- Promoting a high-performance culture
- Promoting and living the values of IHG and fostering a culture which enables and motivates staff to deliver outstanding care to our patients and customers.
- Maintaining the financial delivery of IHG.
The post is the Accountable Officer for Emergency Preparedness, Resilience and Response (EPRR) and is responsible for the planning and response to the management of incidents and emergencies that could affect patient care.
- Advise the Board of Directors on matters relating to the operational delivery of the organisations clinical and clinical support services
- Responsible for the effective operational management of the organisations clinical and Patient Administration services.
- Play an active role and share corporate responsibility for the development and implementation of the organisations strategy
- Ensure robust demand and capacity plans are in place to deliver the contracted levels of service.
- Take an active leadership role in the promotion of equality in the delivery of services and the development of the workforce
- Together with the Medical Director and Head of Clinical services, take responsibility for the implementation of the clinical strategy and the effective delivery of high-quality clinical care.
- Ensure effective systems, processes and performance management arrangements are in place to deliver high quality of patient services
- Ensure that IHG meets all national and local targets and standards to maintain its position as an Outstanding organisation
- Ensure that there is robust business and financial planning to ensure operational effectiveness and viability that supports IHGs objectives.
- Take overall managerial responsibility for the safe, efficient and effective operational delivery of care.
- Ensure the highest levels of clinical engagement and involvement in the development and delivery of clinical services.
Development of services
- Lead on the mobilisation of new services.
- Use service improvement methodology to improve safety, efficiency and the patient experience
Performance and Information
- Ensure services are delivered to cost, quality and service standards
- Work with the Head of Finance to agree organisation capacity, financial and activity targets for the current year
- Ensure audit recommendations are implemented and service improvements delivered
- Actively participate in and develop clear processes for setting performance standards for reporting and reviewing progress
- Develop productive working relationships with stakeholders including staff and Commissioners.
- Liaise with relevant patient groups and patient representative bodies
- Maintain effective communications with other Directors and IHG staff to ensure a corporate approach to the delivery of clinical operations and all other aspects of the portfolio
- Work with the Chief Executive to promote IHG services with commissioning bodies and associated parties
- Provide leadership to direct reports and the wider team, ensuring that effective management and performance systems are in place
- Line manage direct reports, including recruitment, coaching, performance management, and identification of training and development needs
- Champion good employment and employee engagement practices to support the attraction and retention of staff.
- Support and develop staff to ensure they are able to perform at the highest level
- Working with the Head of Finance ensure that there are robust arrangements in place for the effective management of resources through the post holders area of responsibility in line with IHG policies and procedures.
- Manage all pay and non-pay budgets within the post holders area of responsibility ensuring that this is within IHGs financial systems and procedures and the Standing Financial Instructions
General requirements for Executive Directors
- Responsible for the health, safety and welfare of staff and others and to comply at all times with the requirements of the Health and Safety Regulations.
- Promote a strong and proactive commitment to continuous improvement and the culture of compassionate leadership.
- Maintain confidentiality and good standards of information governance
- Promote equality of opportunity, diversity and inclusion for patients and staff
IHG was set up in 2004 by Dr Matthew Wordsworth with the aim of offering patients the choice of being treated out of hospital, closer to home. We set out to be a leading provider of community based diagnostic and treatment services of the highest quality where patients always come first.
We provide day-case surgical services under local anaesthetic including hernia, hand, podiatric, vasectomy and ophthalmology from sites in Wiltshire, Leicestershire, Gloucestershire and Devon. Clinics and procedures are provided from GP practices, health centres or similar health care facilities in the community. All the work we undertake is for the NHS.
IHG is a friendly and supportive place to work where we want staff to be well treated, have a voice at work, and share our passion for excellent patient care.
We offer a contributory pension scheme with a 6% employers contribution, performance bonus, 33 days annual leave (inclusive of public holidays) with the option to buy up to 2 more weeks, and flexible working options.
If you would like an informal discussion about the role please email Claire Damen, Chief Executive officer at email@example.com or Liz Richards, Director of HR at firstname.lastname@example.org, with your mobile number and indicating when it would be convenient to call you.
The closing date for this vacancy is Thursday 30th March. Interview dates are planned for Wednesday 12th or Monday 17th April.
Supporting Documents for Chief Operating Officer
Apply for Chief Operating Officer
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert