This is an exciting opportunity to join Coventry & Warwickshire ICB as our Chief Nursing Officer.
The Chief Nursing Officer will support the development and delivery of the long-term plan of the integrated care board (ICB). They will ensure this reflects and integrates the strategies of all relevant partner organisations of the ICB, with a particular focus on developing a shared clinical strategy.
As a member of the unitary board, each board director is jointly responsible for planning and allocating resources to meet the four core purposes of integrated care systems (ICSs);
- to improve outcomes in population health and healthcare;
- tackle inequalities in outcomes, experience, and access;
- enhance productivity and value for money and
- help the NHS support broader social and economic
They are each responsible for their part in the management of the budget of the ICB.
Stakeholder panel to take place w/c 8th January 2024, interview 11th January 2024.
The post will be subject to NHS England Fit and Proper Person Test.
Main duties of the job
- The Chief Nursing Officer, along with the Chief Medical Officer is accountable for all matters relating to the relevant professional colleagues across the clinical and care workforce employed by the ICB.
- They will also be designated accountable for statutory and non-statutory functions that the ICB will need to perform as agreed with the CEO.
- Examples of these functions would include information governance, quality assurance/improvement and safeguarding.
- The Chief Nursing Officer will (along with the Chief Medical Officer) have an influential executive role and shared accountability for the development and delivery of the long-term clinical strategy of the ICB, ensuring this reflects and integrates the strategies of all relevant partner organisations within the ICS.
- The Chief Nursing Officer will (along with the Chief Medical Officer) be accountable for providing high quality clinical and professional leadership of the ICB's
- This includes ensuring that clinical and care professional leadership is embedded at all levels of the ICS as set out in the Clinical and Care Professional Leadership Guidance.
Coventry and Warwickshire Integrated Care Board (ICB) is responsible for commissioning NHS services on behalf of people in Coventry and Warwickshire. In consultation with local partners, it plans the delivery of services in a way that both meets local health and care needs and reduces inequalities between different groups. The purpose of our ICB is to bring partner organisations together to:1. improve outcomes in population health and healthcare2. tackle inequalities in outcomes, experience and access3. enhance productivity and value for money4.help the NHS support broader social and economic development.
As an Integrated Care System we have agreed a common vision as well as the principles of how partners will work together. This is underpinned by theHealth and Wellbeing Concordatfor Coventry and Warwickshire.
This Concordat was agreed by our two Health and Wellbeing Boards and sets out our goal to enable people across Coventry and Warwickshire to pursue happy, healthy lives and put people and communities at the heart of everything we do.
Our vision is more than just an aspiration, it is the driver for real change across Coventry and Warwickshire.
Job description Job responsibilities Setting strategy and delivering long-term transformation
- Be responsible for influencing and contributing to the ICB plans and wider system strategies of the ICS.
- With the aim of driving innovation in clinical outcomes, reducing health inequalities and achieving better life outcomes across the ICS.
- This will include creating and influencing leadership relationships and wide scale system change to ensure that the ICB acts as an enabler to harness system development opportunities to improve the population health of theICS
- As a professional clinical and professional system leader, they will provide leadership across organisational and professional boundaries and pathways to facilitate transformational change for the ICS population.
- Ensure that the ICB influences and seeks input from wider ICS system leaders including provider collaboratives, public health, local government, voluntary and community sector, other partners and local people to make real transformational differences for the population through local, regional and national forums.
- With the Chief Medical Officer they will support the production and delivery of a five-year ICB plan with the key aim to improve clinical outcomes, better life outcomes and reduce health inequalities, working with the CEO, other board members, partners across the ICS and the local community.
- Be accountable for the supporting clinical strategy, including interpretation and implementation of the NHS Long Term Plan, NICE quality standards and other national strategic priorities.
- Be responsible (along with the Chief Medical Officer and wider ICB/ICS colleagues) for developing the necessary multi-disciplinary clinical and care professional leadership required to deliver this strategy, including leading and influencing the development of a diverse group of clinical leaders to enhance the opportunities for collaboration across the ICS.
- Ensure that there are effective mechanisms for anticipating, identifying, and responding to key clinical risks that could impact on the successful delivery of the strategy. This will include engaging with system leaders from across the ICS to drive research, innovation, quality improvement, patient safety and population health outcomes using a risk-based approach across the ICS footprint.
- Acting as an ambassador for nursing, midwifery, and allied health professional workforce matters, be responsible for ensuring there is a talent supply for the ICB working in partnership with key partners and stakeholders.
- Providing strategic leadership with senior nurses/midwives/allied health professionals (AHPs) and HR/people leaders to develop a fit for purpose workforce to enable the successful delivery of integrated services.
- Support the development of a talent pipeline strategy that increases the diversity of new recruits and retains the high-quality nurses, midwives, and other allied health professionals.
- You will collaborate with colleagues in Health Education England, Skills for Health, Skills for Care, and higher education institutions to ensure the current and future needs of health and social care providers are clearly identified and met.
- This will include enabling entry level career pathways for the local population which supports reducing vacancies and developing opportunities in both health and social care.
- Promote research and innovation to support the development and delivery of your own ICB strategy and share learning to inform approaches to population health management and health improvement across the country through engagement with regional and national colleagues as part of wider integrated care networking opportunities.
Person Specification Essential
- Registered nurse Current valid registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council Master's degree in a relevant health related subject or equivalent experience Extensive knowledge of the health, care and local government landscape and an understanding of the resourcing implications related to the social determinants of public health. Highly sophisticated leadership and influencing skills; building compassionate cultures where individuals and teams thrive at organisation, partnership and system levels.
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Employer details Employer name NHS Coventry & Warwickshire Integrated Care Board
Address Westgate House
Employer's website https://www.happyhealthylives.uk/integrated-care-board/ (Opens in a new tab)